Believe it or not some people think that the need to service your boiler annually is a con and its these people that tend to get a nasty shock at the repair bill when the boiler breaks down! For those of you that already stick to your annual boiler services you’re probably already aware of the benefits and savings you are taking advantage of, but for those of you that are still on the fence then below you will see the 6 main reasons you should annually service your boiler.
6 Reasons To Service Your Boiler
- Safety – The number of people that visit A&E for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning is alarmingly high! The department of health state around 4000 people a year are affected by carbon monoxide and over 50 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is silent and odourless so you won’t know it’s there until you start experiencing symptoms in which first present as flu like symptoms, headaches, nausea, breathlessness. This is why not only should you invest in a carbon monoxide detector but get a registered gas engineer to regularly check your gas appliances are in good working order, at least once a year.
- Avoid Breakdowns – When your boiler is serviced by a gas safe registered engineer, they will check that all components of the boiler are working correctly. If any parts are detreating then the engineer will be able to resolves this, avoiding the parts failing completely. If your boiler is a modern condensing boiler then it is important that the condense pipework and trap are cleaned through regular. Not doing this can cause the condense to back up and fill your new boiler with acidic condensation that will cause havoc within your boiler.
- Save Money – By regularly servicing your boiler will result in your boiler running as efficient as it can meaning your energy bills will be kept to a minimum. Faulty boiler burn more fuel and can make energy bills sky rocket, so keep your energy bills down and get a gas safe registered engineer to regular service your boiler.
- Help The Environment – This is much like the 3rd point but its self-explanatory, regular boiler servicing means you have a more efficient boiler, a more efficient boiler uses less fuel, reduced fuel usage means a reduced carbon footprint!
- Keep Valid Warranty – in many cases manufacturers require you to keep up with annual boiler servicing in order for the warranty to be valid. So, if you have a 2 year old boiler that breaks down and you haven’t had it serviced by a gas safe registered engineer then you will NOT be entitled to a FREE repair visit as you did not maintain the annual servicing of the boiler! That would hurt your bank balance!!
- Landlords – This point is only necessary if you’re a landlord. The landlord and Tenant Act 1985 state all landlords must ensure an annual gas safety check is carried out at their tenanted property, this includes the boiler and all gas appliance. Copies of all documentation and certificates must be provided to occupants at the beginning of the tenancy. It is a choice to have the boiler serviced at your own home however, in your rental property annual boiler servicing is the law.
If your boiler is due or overdue a service, then contact JWC Plumbing & Heating today – 0151 345 0439